Written by: Pam Fung
Eat breakfast to start up your metabolism and lose weight! Many people believe that skipping breakfast will lead to weight loss by reducing your fat and calorie intake, but the truth is, while you sleep your metabolism slows down and by eating breakfast you are starting it back up.
Now, you may ask, “What does my metabolism have to do with breakfast or losing weight?” When you skip breakfast or any meal, your body goes into (what I like to call) “starvation mode”, your body compensates for the hunger by slowing down your metabolism and conserving calories, so your body can keep itself alive. Not providing your body with enough nutrients and “starving” yourself leads to your body burning your proteins, then carbohydrates, fats and finally your muscles; which could potentially lead to eating disorders such as anorexia. When your metabolism is “working” (digesting foods, converting what you eat and drink into energy) you are actually LOSING calories!
A healthy fulfilling breakfast consisting, of good fats (YES there are GOOD fats), simple carbohydrates and protein - all of which can eliminate unhealthy choices throughout the day. By eating a fulfilling, satisfying breakfast you are less likely to be hungry during the day and will eat smaller portions. This reduces the chances of eating too many calories later in the evening. Also, by eating your carbohydrates earlier in the day, you give your body a chance to burn them off as a product of energy.
With work, kids, school and other responsibilities it may be difficult to actually cook breakfast, or maybe, you don’t know any healthy recipes. Breakfast doesn’t have to be difficult just follow these tips and you’ll be golden. (Remember to avoid the use of too much sodium, sugar and complex carbohydrates)
· Plan! Decide what you want to eat the day/night before and if you are going to be eating on the go, you may want to cook your meal the night before and save in a plastic container.
· Choose foods high in fiber. Foods such as oatmeal, whole grain breads and cereals high in fiber. Fiber will keep you fuller throughout the day, decreasing your cravings.
· Add a fruit, such as an apple, peach or pear etc.
·Choose a low fat, low calorie yogurt. I prefer Greek Yogurt; it’s a great source of nutrition and high in protein.
· Add veggies in your morning omelet.
· Drink water!!! You should drink about 32oz. of water with each meal. That is about to water bottles. Water is not only great for your body but will also keep you fuller longer.
When it comes to breakfast something, ANYTHING is better than nothing. Therefore… eat breakfast, start up that metabolism and burn calories!